Hatırla Sevgili (English: Remember Darling) is a Turkish TV series which will soon be airing on URDU1.
It tells the story of love between Yasemin (Beren Saat) and Ahmet (Cansel Elcin), two young people from opposing families, and the relationship between their relatives and friends in the political era starting at the end of the 1950's in Turkey. In the background, historical events are depicted, beginning with Prime Minister Adnan Menderes' 1959 plane crash survival followed by the 1960 military coup, the trial on Yassıada, the executions and other important incidents that generated the radical political polarization of Turkish society afterwards. Yasemin and Ahmet's fathers, Rıza and Şevket, who are childhood friends and neighbors, develop opposite political views as they grow up. Rıza becomes a member of the right wing Democratic Party and enters parliament while Şevket, a public prosecutor, is a follower of the leftist Republican People's Party. Riza's older daughter Yasemin falls in love with Şevket's son Ahmet, however, their families do not allow them to marry and force them to separate. Things become complicated when Yasemin discovers that she is carrying Ahmet's baby. Their mutual friend Necdet tries to help Yasemin by offering to marry her and pretending to be the father of the baby. The unconsummated marriage between Yasemin and Necdet forces Yasemin and Ahmet apart. During their separation, Necdet's act of kindness takes on a new role as he begins to fall in love with Yasemin. Her feelings for Necdet become complicated because her heart still belongs to Ahmet.Years later Yasemin and Ahmet meet by chance again on a train. Ahmet meets Ruya, Yasemin's daughter, and wishes she were his own daughter. Ahmet trys to reconcile with Yasemin when he discovers how both families intervened to split them up but Yasemin refuses. He suggests she runs away with him but she cannot betray Necdet after all he has done for her. So Ahmet carries on alone, later becoming engaged to Ayla and working as a teacher in the same university in which Yasemin is teaching Arts. At the end of the first season Ahmet discovers that he is the father of Yasemin's daughter Ruya, he feels betrayed and disappointed by Yasemin, and sues Yasemin and Necdet to get custody of his daughter. During the trial, many truths are discovered which attenuate Ahmet's anger. As the series proceeds various dramatic events take place, in Turkiye and in the lives of the characters. The political history of Turkey from 1971 to the mılıtary coup ın 1980 is portrayed, from the point of view of the two families, who eventually resolve their differences.
Hatırla Sevgili became one of the most popular and most controversial TV series in Turkey. It was criticized by many because of its non-objective approach and superficial coverage of some historical events, yet it led many people to question their country's modern history.Books about the historical periods portrayed and people mentioned in the series became bestsellers for at least two weeks after the episodes about them were aired. After 68 episodes, the final one was shown on June 6, 2008.
Family of Yasemin:
- Beren Saat - Yasemin Ünsal, female lead
- Engin Şenkan - Rıza Ünsal, father to Yasemin, former barber, Democratic Party politician
- Lâle Mansur - Nezahat Ünsal, mother to Yasemin
- Ayfer Dönmez - Işık Ünsal, sister to Yasemin, marries Yaşar
- Turgay Aydın - Mehmet Karayel, brother to Nezahat and uncle to Yasemin and Işık, former Turkish Army officer during the 1960 Turkish coup d'état and journalist, married to Sevim Gürsoy
- Berk Hakman - Deniz Karayel, Mehmet's son
Family of Ahmet:
- Cansel Elçin - Ahmet Gürsoy, male lead
- Avni Yalçın - Şevket Gürsoy, father to Ahmet and Defne, public prosecutor, deceased.
- Ayda Aksel - Dr. Selma Gürsoy, mother to Ahmet and Defne, physician
- Belçim Erdoğan - Defne Gürsoy, sister of Ahmet
- Laçin Ceylan - Sevim Gürsoy, sister to Şevket and aunt to Ahmet and Defne, journalist, married to Mehmet Karayel
- Karina Selin Gükrer - Rüya Gürsoy, daughter to Ahmet and Yasemin (age 4)
- Asena Taşkın - Rüya Gürsoy, daughter to Ahmet and Yasemin (age 9)
- Ezgi Asaroğlu - Rüya Gürsoy, daughter to Ahmet and Yasemin (age 17)
Family of Necdet:
- Okan Yalabık - Necdet Aygün, first husband of Yasemin, patisserie owner, parliamentarian for CHP (People's Republican Party - in Turkish: Cumhuriyet Halk Partisi)
- Meltem Parlak - Lâle Aygün, sister to Necdet
- Erdoğan Sıcak - Hasan Aygün, father to Necdet and Lâle, patisserie owner
- Nurhayat Boz Yarpuz - Dilşad Aygün - Mother to Necdet and Lâle
|Genre||Historical, romantic drama|
|Directed by||Ümmü Burhan|
|Produced by||Fatmanur Sevinç|
|Written by||Şebnem Çitak|
|Music by||Kemal Sahir Gürel|
|Original channel||ATV Turkey|
|Original run||October 27, 2006 – June 6, 2008|
|No. of episodes||68|
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/hatirlasevgili.pk/